This is my second Sunday in a row that I made a Greek-inspired dish. I don’t know what it is, but Not So Doughie can’t get enough of all the fresh flavors. Today, I made a Greek Quinoa Salad that I will be sharing in a few posts!
Last weekend we (not me) went camping at a nearby campground. The boys stayed the night, but I headed home for a comfortable sleep in my own bed. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind camping and can do the whole sleeping on the ground thing, but the tent was small & it wasn’t in my cards for the night. Anyways, we bought some ground beef to make some burgers over the campfire for Chase (I opted for grilled shrimp, Bryan, hot dogs).
We had some beef leftover so Sunday night Bryan and I had a make-your-own-burger night. He concocted some Asian inspired spicy burger while I created this delicious and fresh Greek burger. This is a great burger for summer. It is light (go bunless or use just the bottom portion), refreshing, and quick to prepare. Reduce the calories a bit more by using ground chicken or turkey.
Burgers and hot dogs are staples in my family’s summertime dinner rotation, but sometimes we have to switch up the flavors so we don’t get burned out. Throughout the summer, I plan to create some healthier, globally-inspired burgers. First up on the list, my Open Faced Greek Burgers.
Open Faced Greek Burgers
Recipe By: Sara
Prep Time: 15 minutes ||| Cook TIme: 7-10 minutes ||| Servings: 4 ||| Difficult Level: Low/Medium
For the burgers:
1lb ground beef (or chicken/turkey)
4 tsp fresh dill, chopped
2 Tbsp red onion, minced
4-5 basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp Marrakesh Za’atar
salt & pepper
4 tomato slices
red onion, thinly sliced
4 burger buns, bottoms only
For the cucumbers:
1 cucumber, small diced
1/2 cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp white or rice vinegar
1 Tbsp dill, chopped
1 Tbsp red onion, minced
salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the burger.
2. Use hands to thoroughly mix together. Do not over handle.
3. Heat grill to medium and once warmed place burger over direct heat.
4. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip burger.
5. Cook an additional 4 minutes for a medium rare.
6. Top with feta cheese and cook an additional minute or two.
7. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cucumber salad. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
8. Place a small but of cucumber on the bun. Top with burger –> tomato –> cucumber –> red onion.