Hands-On Time: 10 minutes I Cook Time: 45 minutes I Servings: 4
6 medium yellow onions, halved & sliced
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup red wine (dry)
32 oz LOW-SODIUM Beef Broth
8 oz LOW-SODIUM Chicken Broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
4 slices of cheese (We used Mozzarella, try Gruyere, Swiss or Provolone)
1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
For the Homemade Toasts:
1 small baguette, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
Directions for the Soup:
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil & butter over medium heat, until melted.
2. Add sliced onions and stir to coat. Cook on medium-low covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until golden and soft.
3. Add minced garlic and cook for additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Caramelize the onions, by adding the 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar to the onions. Increase heat to the medium-high and stir often until golden brown.
5. Add red wine, scraping bottom of the pot to remove cooked pieces.
6. Add beef & chicken broth, bay leaf & thyme and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes. While simmering, make the homemade croutons.
8. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls, filling close to the top.
9. Place two homemade croutons into the bowl.
10. Layer a slice of cheese overtop of the croutons, ensuring parts of the cheese hang over the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top of cheese slice.
11. Place bowls in the broiler until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
12. Remove carefully (will be scorching hot) and serve with additional baguette slices.
Directions Homemade Croutons
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange 8 baguette slices on a cooking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Sprinkle each pieces lightly with the garlic powder and salt.
4. Bake in oven for about 5-8 minutes or until brown and crusty.